What is Yerba Mate?
Not all herbs are created equal. Some are simply used to spice up your meals, while some can effect significant changes in your body. Take the case of yerba mate, or mate for short.
This South American plant is packed with beneficial substances, which is why native Guarani Indians used it as an all-around medicine for hundreds of years. Today, this plant enjoys an increasing popularity among health drinkers and it has even reached the same status as coffee and tea.
Yerba mate's claim to fame is its extensive amounts of antioxidants. The presence of these substances makes this plant effective in preventing or reversing the damages to the body's cells brought about by free radicals or the process of oxidation. Apart from antioxidants, this herb also possesses considerable amounts of minerals like iron and vitamins C, E, and B5. Mate also has plenty of chlorophyll that can help improve the immune system and wash away harmful toxins inside the body.
Health benefits & uses:
Interestingly, the biggest appeal that this herb has is its ability to melt away fat and reduce one's weight. Proof of this is the inclusion of mate as a fundamental ingredient in a number of medications designed to combat obesity and excess weight.
1. Yerba Mate is very much like coffee and tea, is considered safe by the FDA, and is on their GRAS (Generally Recognized as Safe) list. Consumed in moderation, it is recognized as one of the most healthful natural beverages on earth. However, unlike energy drinks, coffee and tea, it can give you sustained energy, focus and alertness without the jitteriness of caffeine.
2. It can help eliminate fatigue, while stimulating mental and physical activity. It has a beneficial effect on nerves and muscles; it can also enhance intellectual work.
3. Yerba Mate health benefits have been documented by research such as being anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, antispasmodic, thermogenic (increases fat burning), aids in weight loss, and can help with mental clarity.
4. It contains vitamins A, C, E, B1, B2, Niacin (B3), B5, B... and complex minerals like Calcium, Manganese, Iron, Selenium, Potassium, Magnesium, Phosphorus, and Zinc. It also contains Carotene, Fatty Acids, Chlorophyll, Flavonols, Polyphenols, Inositol, Trace Minerals, Antioxidants, Tannins, Pantothenic Acid, and 15 Amino Acids.
5. Yerba Mate also contains saponins which are phytochemicals ( natural plant sources) that have been found to specifically stimulate the immune system and aid the body in protecting against disease.
6. It contains polyphenols which are a group of phytochemicals that act as powerful antioxidants and are considered to have anti-cancer effects in mammals by strengthening their natural defenses.
A research done in Denmark discovered that this plant can trigger significant weight loss because it can help in suppressing one's appetite. Together with healthy diet and regular exercise, this plant holds the promise for a healthier weight. You do not have to look far and wide just to get the benefits of this plant. Many brands offer yerba mate as tea, capsules or powder at house of nutriton.
Wisdom Herbs YerbaMate
Jarrow Green Mate